Chief was a common designation for leading officers and enlisted crewmembers aboard Federation starships and installations. When used to refer to an officer, chief denotes positional authority, or department head status. In reference to an enlisted crewmember, it referred directly to rank, specifically to the rank of chief petty officer and above.
Starfleet ranks and titlesEdit
- Chief engineer, head of the engineering department on a starship.
- Assistant chief engineer, second-in-command of the engineering department aboard a starship.
- Chief medical officer, head of the medical department on a starship
- Chief of operations, head of operations on a starbase or space station.
- Chief petty officer, rank given to senior non-commissioned officers.
- Chief tactical officer, in charge of tactical stations on a starship.
- Transporter chief, in charge of transporter operations on a starship.
- Security chief, in charge of security on a starship or at a Starfleet facility.
- Section chief, head of a section on starships.